CITROËN Lyon (France) - 2015
Contexte & enjeux
Listed as a Historical Monument in 1992, the Citroën garage was completed in 1932. 135 metres long, 52 metres wide, and with almost four hectares of floor space, it was considered the largest service station in the world. It was a jewel of innovation, a monument to the ambition of the automotive industry.
The trapezoidal building, contained by five turrets, has had its character and strength revived by the transformation. Preserving, in fact, means transforming. The original volumes are tactfully restored, while its components are replaced. The main hall was rearranged as it was originally, giving it its full height on three levels; the upper floors were converted into offices with the creation of patios to bring in light.
“As before, better than before”: The Nationale 7 enters the building through the 140 m² Monumental Door.
Two leaves on pivots renew the original accordion door (designed by Jean Prouvé) and the car ramps, characteristic of the building, run along the facades on six floors to bring everyone to their door and park their car.
Winner of the SIMI Grand Prix 2015, Renovated building category
Photographie 1 : Romain Blanchi
Photographies 2-5 : Erick Saillet
Photographie 7 : Guillaume Perret
Mission architecturaleSUD Architectes / ALEP Architectes
Conversion into a mixed programme (offices, coworking, education and showroom)
6EME SENS IMMOBILIER
Completed in 2015
31 500 m²
35 M€ before Tax
Sud Architectes mandataire
ALEP Architectes (complete mission)